Government polytechnic Ranchi was started in year 1935 long before any engineering college in Bihar Jharkhand. Initially it was run under the name of Ranchi school of engineering, it was very famous and none of that kind during that time. Student of that era under Ranchi school of engineering were given special training on engineering basis and making them skillful through labs and workshops. As per for information it was an I.T.I institute with all running equipments and many of the students of that era were retired with very good position in their respective field as per a report filed in year 1971.
It is an oldest diploma institute in Jharkhand marking its presence in year 1954 first time with civil engineering with an intake of 120 students, later all the next field of engineering marked its presence respectively as follows
- Diploma in production engineering in year 1971 with an intake of 30 students
- Diploma in electrical engineering in year 1971 with an intake of 30 students and 30 to 60 intake increases in 2010
- Diploma in electronics engineering in year 1971 with an intake of 30 students and 30 to 60 intake increases in 2010.
- Diploma in Computer sc. Engineering in year 2000 with an intake of 30 students and 30 to 60 intake increases in 2010
- Later diploma in production engineering was replaced by civil engineering in year 2008 with an intake of 30 and 30 to 60 intake increases in 2010 for the enhancement of Govt. polytechnic, Ranchi.
It is best among polytechnic colleges, top rankers students allots their seat in this college .it is technically equipped with modern labs and equipments. All the class rooms are modernly organized with all facilities including projector and CCTV cameras for video conferencing. Computer facility is best in its class equipped with more than 200 computer working all the time on 100Mbps speed with well classified cad labs.
Government polytechnic Ranchi has well known reputation for its academic curriculum esteemed faculties, student friendly environment, hassle-free and on time course.